Many presumptions can be made here based upon information given:

I'm no scientist, and I base thess guesses solely on my limited knowledge and my observations. I don't know what habitat was present at that time (if different than present). No size was mentioned for scale.

I'm probably wrong, but my quick guess would be immature Red-headed Woodpeckers or possibly immature Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers?. Their dark heads can appear blueish in the wrong light and during their first winter. Afterward in Spring, they show their adult/breeding plumages.

The only other "blue-headed 'woodpecker'" type bird I can think of might be Belted Kingfisher. An ice storm (providing no open water in wooded areas) would drive Belted Kingfishers elsewhere. Their absence could be conceived as a kill off.

Do we know if carcasses were present or found as evidence of a "kill off". Was the gentleman color blind by chance. . . well, in color blindness red or black will not appear blue; so that's not an issue.

Humbly,

Chris Barrigar

Stoddard Co.