We decided to try a new (to us) conservation area today and drove over to the Lamine CA in Cooper and Morgan counties. Had a good day despite the snow, some of the gravel roads were a little treacherous so we did not get the complete area done but most of it and anxious to go back in warmer weather. Great variety of habitats. Some areas seemed birdless today and others were hopping with birds! Highlights included the raptors,
Bald Eagles
Red shouldered Hawks
Red tailed Hawks
Northern Harrier
Am Kestral

Woodpeckers not as abundant as we were expecting but finally found piliated, red bellied,
downey and a northern flicker.

Cardinals were abundant!
Total of 27 species.

Went on up to Franklin Island CA and Davisdale CA in Cooper County. We were treated to watching 1000 horned larks in the corn stubble! What an awesome sight, only to be rivaled by watching even more snow geese fly over in V after V.  They looked like they were looking to land for the night in one of the fields but never did see where they finally landed.

Complete reports on CACHE
Laurie & Charles Shawver
Boone Co., MO