From: Bob Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Request for reassurance
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Sunday, January 3, 2010, 1:55 AM

I Googled, put in my zip code and went to the weather forecast tonight. There, beside the forecast was a picture of a forlorn looking Polar Bear stranded on a small ice floe in the midst of a vast sea of open water. A dire warning, I suppose, that the entire ice cap is about to melt and ice dependant creatures like the Polar Bear and Ringed seal will go extinct even as our eastern cities are flooded by rising sea levels.

Meanwhile, it is 7 degrees out and snowing. Eight inches of snow has been on the ground around my house for more than a week. Kristi Mayo posted a couple of  days ago that Smithville Lake was 99% frozen. The forecast is for 2 degrees tonight, highs of 14 and 16 for the next four days followed by a high of only 9 on Thursday and a low of -2 Turdsday night. The forecast ends with another high of 9 degrees on Friday, followed by another low of -2 Friday night and a warm up to only 20 a whole week away, next Saturday. It is -33 in International; Falls MN right now, and CNN said it was -58 somewhere in the Lower 48 yesterday.

What happened to global warming? When will Smithville Lake thaw again? Will all the Carolina Wrens die this winter?

I know there are some weather savvy folks on this list. Others must have seen Wooly Bears with broad central areas of brown fur before the cold and the snow drove them all to wherever they go when their forecasts don't work out.  If you know something, please give me some reassurance that this two week plus snap is only a temporary aberration, and global warming will reassert itself and make the rest of the winter more birder friendly.  Or will it?

Bob Fisher
Independence, MO
[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]