Several years ago (so my memory may be hazy), the Greater Ozarks Audubon
Society had a field trip a couple weeks before Christmas.  We met in the
Springfield Wal-Mart parking lot and loaded all our stuff, binoculars,
scopes and tripods into a large SUV which had tinted windows.  The driver
was looking over the local birds down by the store out of the car window
with his big binoculars.  When we got ready to pull out, we were suddenly
stopped by a police car with lights flashing, and he was joined by
another.  I remember the young police officer who stopped us looked
scared, like he was approaching a vehicle full of dangerous hoodlums,
when it was just a bunch of ladies with bird books in the back, which he
couldn't see for the tinted glass.  They stopped us and had the driver
and other male passenger in the front seat get out, and carefully checked
in the back of the vehicle to find a bunch of ladies with the giggles,
but with binoculars and bird books, which proved our innocence.
Apparently the overly-nervous manager of Wal-Mart, having a large amount
of cash on hand for the holiday shopping, thought he was being cased for
a robbery.  We were allowed to continue to Shell-Osage for a great day of
birding, with a little excitement added at the start.

Jo Strange
Branson, MO