Subject: Birder Arrested in MA
From: Samuel Galick <sam.galick AT GMAIL.COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 20:33:24 -0500

Yikes.

*Subject: Arrest By Saugus Police 1/5*
From: Paul Peterson
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 15:19:08 -0800 (PST)

Hi,
While?I was birding on the Rumney Marsh west of Rte.107 Yesterday, someone
in
one of the houses that back up onto the marsh?called the Saugus police
because

they thought?I was looking at their house. The police arrived just after I
had

exited the marsh at Bristow and Beachview Streets. I was arrested on trumped
up
charges after being thrown to the ground with my brand new Bushnell Ex
Explorer
binoculars around my neck!

This after telling the officer what I had been doing, and listing for him
the
birds I saw. He kept insisting that birds aren't seen in winter. My
binoculars
are being held as evidence, and this is after I had told the booking officer
that they were brand new and disclosed the price. The charges are disorderly
conduct, resisting arrest(even though?I was never told that I was under
arrest)

and assaulting an officer.(my brother says I can kiss my binculars goodbye).

Paul Peterson
petersonpaul63 AT yahoo.com
Boston