Subject: IBET Mississippi River Eagles
From: "Steve" <fishn51 AT comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 20:50:05 -0000

 To fellow IBETers & many good friends I've met birding & photographing,
I've
been to the river a couple of times this season. Because of a few factors,
the
Eagles are coming down from up north, but do not stay in any particular area
for long. At this time last year there were 500 Eagles at L&D 13. A good
friend
reported seeing 2 there on Sat. The main thing that I have noticed this
year,
is that there are very few Eagles seen actually catching fish below the
dams.
Past years, there would be up to 100 Eagles in the air and catching fish
below
the main two locations of L&D 13 and L&D 18. For some reason unknown to me,
the
Shad(the primary forage fish for the Eagles) are not prevelent as in past
years. Thus, the die off that they usually go through after ice over, has
not
happened. These Shad often float after dieing & travel through the roller
gates
of the Mississippi River dams. Thus, giving the Eagles their primary source
of
food to be scouped up in the open waters below the dams. If anyone knows of
persons that may have knowledge of the reasoning of this, I'd be more than
anxious to hear from them. Please, give them my e-mail address and have them
contact me.

 Steve
LaSalle County

http://mobirds.org/