At 08:51 PM 1/7/2010, David Becher wrote:

David,

I assure you, there were no Missouri farmers there, no farm equipment, no livestock, no private land, no trespassing...  5,000 miles from Missouri, 25 years ago.

Dave Starrett

From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: Watch where...
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 20:50:54 -0600

Theft from farms including equipment and livestock is a significant problem.  One thinks of cattle rustling as something that happened in the Old West, but it still goes on today.  Farmers can be very sensitive to people who seem to be spying on their property.  It is also important to remember that in Missouri entering private property without an invitation is trespassing whether the land is posted or not.
David Becher
Saint Louis

> Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 17:47:11 -0600
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Watch where...
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> 25 years ago my father, an avid birder, took me (not an avid birder
> back then!) to Hawaii. He did a lot of bird watching while we were
> there. We stayed with a former colleague of his. They directed us
> to some local birding spots. We drive down a twisting dirt back road
> through brush, etc. to come out onto a beautiful secluded beach. It
> had a few locals on it. He took his binocs and scanned up and down
> the foliage along the beach looking for something in particular, what
> I don't know or recall. I started looking at the people on the
> beach. One exotic young lady was strolling down the beach towards
> us. It took me a moment to realize her skin colored bathing suit was
> her birthday suit. I do not to this day know whether my father
> scanned anything besides the avian birds with his binocs, but the
> locals on the beach reacted to a couple men standing on the beach
> staring at their girl, one with binocs. A couple of the young men
> strutting and preening on the beach began to come to her defense. I
> encouraged my father to wrap up the bird watching and head to another
> locale. We did before any confrontation occurred. Our hosts later
> confirmed that the beach was a locals beach and that the locals
> didn't always wear bathing suits. They also applauded us for leaving
> before any confrontation which according to them could have been
> unpleasant! Years later my dad visited us here in Missouri and sat
> on our back deck with his binocs scanning the trees, etc. One of our
> neighbors did her yard work in a bikini. She obviously thought my
> dad was looking at more than birds. We explained to her what he was
> doing. Now that I am a birder I recall these two lessons and that
> they taught me to be very careful of what one APPEARS to be looking
> at with their binocs!
>
> Dave

> | Dr. David Starrett,
> | Dean, School of University Studies and
> | Academic Information Services and
> | Director, Center for Scholarship in Teaching and Learning
> | MS 4650, 1 University Plaza
> | Southeast Missouri State University
> | Cape Girardeau, MO 63701
> | Ph: (573) 651-2783