25 years ago my father, an avid birder, took me (not an avid birder
back then!) to Hawaii.  He did a lot of bird watching while we were
there.  We stayed with a former colleague of his.  They directed us
to some local birding spots.  We drive down a twisting dirt back road
through brush, etc. to come out onto a beautiful secluded beach.  It
had a few locals on it.  He took his binocs and scanned up and down
the foliage along the beach looking for something in particular, what
I don't know or recall. I started looking at the people on the
beach.  One exotic young lady was strolling down the beach towards
us.  It took me a moment to realize her skin colored bathing suit was
her birthday suit.  I do not to this day know whether my father
scanned anything besides the avian birds with his binocs, but the
locals on the beach reacted to a couple men standing on the beach
staring at their girl, one with binocs.  A couple of the young men
strutting and preening on the beach began to come to her defense.  I
encouraged my father to wrap up the bird watching and head to another
locale.  We did before any confrontation occurred.  Our hosts later
confirmed that the beach was a locals beach and that the locals
didn't always wear bathing suits.  They also applauded us for leaving
before any confrontation which according to them could have been
unpleasant!  Years later my dad visited us here in Missouri and sat
on our back deck with his binocs scanning the trees, etc.  One of our
neighbors did her yard work in a bikini.  She obviously thought my
dad was looking at more than birds.  We explained to her what he was
doing.  Now that I am a birder I recall these two lessons and that
they taught me to be very careful of what one APPEARS to be looking
at with their binocs!

Dave