I thought I share this one with you as it is kinda unique. It was back
in 1988 and I was a teenager with huge binoculars, which I was very
proud of, a very old (my granpa's) camera, and a notebook into which I
wrote down everything about birds that I was able to observe. It
happened that I was walking back and forth along the coastal railroad
in Sevastopol in southern Crimea.The city was closed to general public
at the time as it was partially a navy base, but I had relatives there
and was allowed to visit. I was busily watching birds, writing in my
notebook and taking some pictures when two guys in grey suits gently
took me by the eblows and escorted to the local KGB office, where I
spent few hours explaining that my scibbles in the notebook were about
birds and not battleships. They finally did let me go, but they still
could not figure out why I wanted to look for birds. It was not a very
popular sport in the USSR then. I did see some good birds there
including the barred warbler and red-backed shrike.
Fine memories on a cold day:-)
--
Peter Kondrashov
Kirksville, MO