I was walking down the street in downtown Walnut Grove a few years ago, when
a beautiful bobwhite quail call came from a top ledge of a building where
several starlings were perched.  Not an uncommon experience for experienced
field birders to some time or another to have had a similar experience.

I had the good fortune to participate in the MDC quail whistle count this
fall.  The counts are conducted during the month of October.  You start
listening from a preassigned listening post at 45min prior to sunrise, and
count covey gathering calls until 10min prior to sunrise.  The covey call is
not the typical bobwhite call but more of a single note call.  Really a
quite discernable call at that time of the day.

There are, as usual, more than one dynamic in the environmental impact of
quail populations, but it is my understanding that the considerable increase
of fescue into the environment is a major cause of the problem.

Charley Burwick
Greater Ozarks Audubon
Springfield, Mo
Greene County