Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 14:46:46 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: OT: further esoterica Re: Gospel of Mary of Magdala (recovery/"library")
To: [log in to unmask]

This is fascinating.  I wrote an essay (in the book I co-edited [really did masses of editing] with Cassandra Laity, T. S. Eliot and Desire, Gender, and Sexuality.  I traced Eliot's use of dissociation based in Prince and James, but mainly Pierre Janet, to his own poetics as well as his notion of "dissociation of sensibility."  I don't think of it as really focused on philosophy so much as psychology--though they were not separated then.  But Eliot was in the philosophy department doing graduate work when James was there.  He later disliked what James did, but he read the work, and the language in all three of those psychologists turns up in his own ideas.  It's a long story but I think it reveals a great deal about his early imagery and themes.

The Christian god, of course, is multiple personalit(ies)--just to be provocative, though I mean it.
Cheers,
Nancy
>>> Jerome Walsh 01/07/10 2:33 PM >>>
Yes, Nancy, I am, but that was an MA thesis in philosophy in what seems like a previous lifetime (I wrote it in 1964).  I would definitely not put that on a list of required, or even recommended, reading anyplace!  It was an attempt to see how the categories used by a couple of modern psychologists (namely, William James and Morton Prince) to understand an extreme condition of identity dissociation, would fit into the categories of scholastic psychology of "personhood."  The main thing I learned through the experience was that I did not want to make philosophy my career!  I have no idea how (or, more importantly, why) it would now be available electronically.

My professional credentials and publications are in the area of Hebrew Bible studies, mainly from a literary (as distinct from historical, historical critical, or theological) angle.  My main book to date is a 400-page literary commentary on 1 Kings; my fourth book, a hands-on, how-to manual for students who want some practical guidance in literary criticism of ancient Hebrew narrative, is due for publication next month.

If you found my bibliography through a Google search or something similar, you will have turned up a whole slew of books for which I am listed as "associate editor," but which, in fact, were handled by the general editor of the series.  I just got free credit for it.  I'm now general editor of that series (Berit Olam), but nothing has come out in the series under my general editorship so far.

Jerry