I agree with this commentary, though I wonder how it can be made to exist in the current state of publishing.  Possibly one could have a total virtual library--though I love paper but could print out I assume--but how do you see a reader finding a way through a total library?  This is a real question--I think Borges is right, but the books that have been recovered have, ironically, been the ones in libraries.  Recovery has to include some distribution.
Cheers,
Nancy

>>> <[log in to unmask]>01/03/10 7:55 PM >>>
One strength of Borges' conception of the open, inclusive library is that texts disfavored at the time of their creation or subsequently but widely read and appreciated by later audiences and then again disfavored would have a perpetual home in the tradition, available for recovery and rereading. That approach would avoid the need for scholars like Judith Fetterley to "recover" and resurrect even relatively recent texts that a male dominated publishing industry has rendered unavailable. Borges' library is a helpful precondition for the preservation of work by incompletely or never enfranchised writers. It avoids the problem of Gray's unseen blushing rose and renders us the richer while at the same time permitting the possibility of learning from a wider range of thought than that allowed by a patriarchal tradition implicitly driven and limited by contemporary bias and the limits of market capitalism.