Well, Eliot said that Prufrock was both himself and someone else, someone older (he wrote it when he was very young).  But I do not see his doubles (of which there are many) simply as personae, though, in the sense that he presents himself as doubled in the form of various narrators, I see them as many aspects of self which he experienced, and in the case of Prufrock two aspects of himself--or, if you choose, the "narrator" as dual.

As to the second question, no.

But I think the whole issue is very complex, and I would have to repeat the essay to make it clear and convincing--which I think it is.  So I can only suggest you read it.  The first or second note lists a series of ways the "you and I" has been read with key scholars who did.  It's obviously selective: it has been a topic since the poem was published.
Cheers,
Nancy
>>> DIana Manister <[log in to unmask]>01/31/10 5:31 PM >>>
Nancy you say two selves or personae of the poet; I take that to mean the poem's narrator, correct?

Do you see "talk of you and me" as referring to a third "you"?

Best,

Diana

Sent from my iPod

On Jan 31, 2010, at 4:07 PM, Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I think you're probably right, but I also think Eliot especially found too much reality more than he could bear.  His generalization assumes that his own conception of "reality" is Truth.  I think a great deal can be borne if one sees it as a more complicated mixture of sensual and emotional joy and beauty as well, clearly, as horror.  And I don't, obviously, mean his concept of a joy beyond sensual joy as the only possibility.  Ironically, his early poetry, full of yearning and desire for just that, seems never to have been something of a world he discovered until perhaps in his last few years.
Nancy

>>> David Boyd <[log in to unmask]>01/31/10 3:32 PM >>>
'('We') humankind cannot bear much reality' maybe illuminates the personae involved here ??.

Regards

David