Peter

I forgot to note that in the case of a vacancy as occurred with the death of Senator Kennedy the State Legislature would have simply and immediately  appointed another US Senator.  I do not know whether that would have been for the remainder of the original term or for a full 6 year term.

Rick Seddon

Portales, NM

From: T. S. Eliot Discussion forum. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Richard Seddon
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2010 9:01 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: OT Massachusetts' Logic

Peter

Well you know it was originally set up something like that.

Originally Senators were elected/appointed by their state legislatures and not directly elected by the people of the state

The original Article I section 3 of the US Constitution read; “The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each state, chosen by the Legislatures thereof, for six years and each Senator shall have one vote.”

This was modified by the 17th amendment to provide for direct election by the people of the state.   The 17th amendment was ratified in 1913.

Rick Seddon

Portales, NM