Everyone knows the loss of MA's Democratic vote is going to force congress to reduce the benefits in the health care bill. I think right-wing tea-bag money pushed Brown over the top.

It's so appropriate that the Supreme Court today voted to allow big corporate money to finance political campaigns. Health insurance companies will back the candidates that insure their profits, as will air and water polluters, strip miners, de-foresters, and on and on. What a system.

Democracy might have a chance if we did away with the electoral college.

Diana

Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 13:12:19 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: OT Massachusetts' Logic
To: [log in to unmask]

Diana wrote:
D> Massachusetts has state health care.
D> The federal government will probably raise taxes to pay
D> for federal health care.
D> Massachusetts elects a right-wing Republican who will vote against
D> federal health care.
D> Massachusetts (also known as "Taxachusetts") voted its own
D> self-interest, and to hell with the rest of the country's
D> health care needs.

And how do you explain the Democratic loss of two gubernatorial seats last November in New Jersey and Virginia? Was that also more states saying "to hell with the rest of the country's health care needs"? New Jersey, like Massachusetts, is normally a reliable left-wing state.

Jim Webb is the _Democratic_ senator from Virginia. After the Brown win, he put out this statement:

"In many ways, the campaign in Massachusetts became a referendum not only on health care reform but also on the openness and integrity of our government process."

If the Democratic Party adopts your view that the Massachusetts loss is about the selfish electorate saying "to hell with the rest of the country's health care needs", be prepared for a Republican House and Senate next January and a three-year lame duck President.

-- Tom --