From: Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wed, Jan 20, 2010 6:23 pm
Subject: Re: Eliot's poetry: the medium & the message

> Richard Seddon wrote:

 It originated with Math, for sure, but is used in contexts far outside
 of Math.

Well, it's necessary, is it not, to proceed from a given hypothesis in
say) physics to implicatons of tha hypothesis, which can be tested,
hereby reinforcing the original hypothesis. I don't believe the most
amous equation of the 20th-c, e=mc*2 was part of relativity theory but
 logical deduction fromit.
For that matter, the original Aristotelian logic has been by no means
hrown out but (merely) shown to be a special case of a more general
ogic. It is by means of Aristotelian logic that, for example, one can
istinguish ad hominem arguments (a logical fallacy) from personal
ttacks (usually obnoxious but not an argument and not a fallacy.
ompare:
A believes X
 is an asshole
herefore X is false.
(a logical fallacy(it has a label which I forget): this is what is meant
n logic and rhetoric by an ad hominem argument)
X is vile belief
A believes X
A is an asshole.
Possibly false, possibly true, but not a logical fallacy.

arrol

 In fact predicate logic with its ability to process variables might be
 of real interest to you.

 Rick Seddon

 Portales, NM