Dear Carrol,

Well, you have articulated what I was grasping at.  But as my example shows, inconsistent argument can also fail to grasp anything at all.
Cheers,
Nancy

>>> Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]> 01/18/10 1:04 PM >>>
> Nancy Gish wrote:
>

> Logic does not always lead to truth (if there is "truth" rather than
> Stevens's "truths"), but I don't see much evidence that illogic leads
> to anything except maybe Sarah Palin's conviction that she has foreign
> policy experience because you can see Russia from

I can't remember the exact wording & my paraphrase lacks punch, but
Keynes, referring to some argument by Hayek, remarks that it shows how
one can start with a small error and by remoresless logic end up in
Bedlam.

And Russell points out someplace that while an inconsistent argument can
still grasp some truth, a rigorously consisten philosophy is apt to be
totally wrong.

Carrol