Dear Nancy and Marcia,

When I was in the corporate world, a period of my life I'd rather forget, an agenda consisted of agenda items like "getting food" or "getting free of hunger." Hunger is a basic biological drive. If you want to think of it as the body's agenda, that's OK with me!

But it seems equivalent to saying the desire to breathe is an agenda. Both functions are basic to survival.

Diana

Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 12:16:00 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Residual agency
To: [log in to unmask]

Is this not a Jamesian semantic distinction?  The dictionary definition in The American Heritage Dictionary for an "agenda" is
"a list of things to be done" or a "program."  It would seem to apply to either of these.  "Getting food" is a thing to be done that could be on a list; so could "getting free of hunger."
Cheers,
Nancy
>>> Marcia Karp 01/18/10 11:58 AM >>>
The agenda (your bete noire) is to be free of hunger.  Getting food is the method.

But you've changed the subject, your unexplained "Don't you think a theory is a de facto agenda?"  What do you mean by agenda?  If every act or [fill in the blank] has one, why did you ask the question?

Best,
Marcia

Please, "What's your problem there?" is just the sort of nastiness that can plague this list.  I don't appreciate your condescension; I don't merit it.  Not in the least.

Diana Manister wrote:

Dear Marcia,

Do you not see that a plan for hunger removal is a plan to get food?

What's your problem there?

Diana