I think social construction is/was an extremely useful and partly valid theory that, like other theories, somehow became total TRUTH.   I love Wallace Stevens's line, "There are many truths, but they are not part of a Truth."  (from memory)  Sex has also been called a social construction, and to some extent it is, and to some extent it is not.  Gender is more troubling because we have not and never have had an independent variable.  We have no way of knowing in any absolute sense how "sexually defined" males and "sexually defined" females would act in all societies if there were not gender assumptions, stupid or not.  What we clearly do know is that traditional gender absolutes lined up with sexual absolutes are simply a fantasy.  Think of any active female and/or passive male. . .any logical female and/or illogical male. . . any calmly effective female and /or hysterical male. . . any great woman writer and/or silly male scribbler, and traditional gender belief is so obviously both untrue and absurd that one cannot see how it was and is sustained except for what Elizabeth Kamarck Minnich calls "psychotic conceptualizations."
Nancy

>>> Diana Manister <[log in to unmask]> 01/16/10 3:31 PM >>>
Dear Nancy et al,

Judith Butler's book Gender Trouble presents specific instances of
sexual indeterminacy. It also examines gender as a social construct.

Diana

Sent from my iPod