And usually there is an agenda behind such theories.
P.
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Nancy Gish
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, January 11, 2010 10:23 AM
Subject: Re: Eliot's poetry: the medium & the message

Dear Diana,

Actually, theories come and go, and I have never accepted this one.  I am really quite sure I am having them--all theorists to the contrary--I have theory also and a no-doubt antiquated certainty that I exist.  What "I" am is another problem.

At one point I read a great deal about this, and I never found in any philosophical or theoretical text any explanation for a residue of agency.  I can't be specific without going back to all that, but I never feel bound by current theories.  And none were, as far as I could tell, complete or satisfying on this.  Who or what even can claim that experiences or thoughts occur? It is an endless cycle.  What is the origin or agency or whatever you choose that produced the claim below that experience occurs?

Cheers,
Nancy

>>> Diana Manister <[log in to unmask]>01/11/10 10:24 AM >>>
Dear Peter:

It's so outré to talk about consciousness. Neuroscience can't find it, philosophy can't describe it, or psychology either.

David Chalmers calls finding consciousness "the hard problem." "Impossible" is a more fitting adjective.

Postmodern criticial theory deconstructs consciousness as a function of language. I and You are discursive only, linguistic implications.

Experiences occur, thoughts occur. That doesn't mean anyone is having them.

Diana