I agree with this commentary, though I wonder how it can be made to
exist in the current state of publishing. Possibly one could have a
total virtual library--though I love paper but could print out I
assume--but how do you see a reader finding a way through a total
library? This is a real question--I think Borges is right, but the books
that have been recovered have, ironically, been the ones in libraries.
Recovery has to include some distribution.
Cheers,
Nancy

>>> 01/03/10 7:55 PM >>>
One strength of Borges' conception of the open, inclusive library is
that texts disfavored at the time of their creation or subsequently but
widely read and appreciated by later audiences and then again disfavored
would have a perpetual home in the tradition, available for recovery and
rereading. That approach would avoid the need for scholars like Judith
Fetterley to "recover" and resurrect even relatively recent texts that a
male dominated publishing industry has rendered unavailable. Borges'
library is a helpful precondition for the preservation of work by
incompletely or never enfranchised writers. It avoids the problem of
Gray's unseen blushing rose and renders us the richer while at the same
time permitting the possibility of learning from a wider range of
thought than that allowed by a patriarchal tradition implicitly driven
and limited by contemporary bias and the limits of market capitalism.