Well, Eliot said that Prufrock was both himself and someone else,
someone older (he wrote it when he was very young). But I do not see his
doubles (of which there are many) simply as personae, though, in the
sense that he presents himself as doubled in the form of various
narrators, I see them as many aspects of self which he experienced, and
in the case of Prufrock two aspects of himself--or, if you choose, the
"narrator" as dual.

As to the second question, no.

But I think the whole issue is very complex, and I would have to repeat
the essay to make it clear and convincing--which I think it is. So I can
only suggest you read it. The first or second note lists a series of
ways the "you and I" has been read with key scholars who did. It's
obviously selective: it has been a topic since the poem was published.
Cheers,
Nancy

>>> DIana Manister 01/31/10 5:31 PM >>>
Nancy you say two selves or personae of the poet; I take that to mean
the poem's narrator, correct?

Do you see "talk of you and me" as referring to a third "you"?

Best,

Diana

Sent from my iPod