Dear Diana,

Two reasons for "two": That's what Eliot said (in an interview rather
hard to find), and, in the late 19th and early 20th C, there was a great
deal of discussion of duality but almost none of multiplicity. Eliot
knew the discussions: he read William James and Janet and others and he
used the language to describe, for example, Laforge.

I quote a lot of his own terminology in the article noted below.

As for Wimsatt and Beardsley, I don't care what they would say. I base
what I say on months/years of my own research, which fits with what
Eliot said, and I don't feel bound by any of their theory.
Cheers,
Nancy

>>> DIana Manister 01/31/10 4:42 PM >>>
Dear Nancy,

Why only two, since "you" can be plural?

As for TSE's statement, what would Wimsatt &Beardsley say about that?

Best,

Diana

Sent from my iPod