Dear Rick,

I think we have to agree to disagree on the responsibilities and
purposes of senators. I do think their job is to be New Mexico's
representatives, not simply to represent New Mexico's interests.

As for "elite," I'm from the Midwest, and it has its elite. Just how
does Grosse Pointe (except for the gratuitous "e," like "ye olde") or
wealthy suburbs of Chicago differ from Coastal Connecticut for elitism?
I have no doubt the West does also. I find that phrase both untrue and
unfair. And it's pretty hard to find any elite in Maine except summer
people who come and buy land and go away in winter. And places like
Baltimore or New Jersey are not exactly refuges for wealth and influence
hidden among the poverty. I confess, as a resident of the East Coast, I
find it--no doubt completely unintentionally--insulting.
Cheers,
Nancy

>>> Richard Seddon 01/21/10 8:14 PM >>>

Nancy

The two federal Senators from New Mexico are New Mexico*s Senators not
yours. They are suppose to represent New Mexico interests in the federal
government. They are elected by the people of New Mexico not the people
of Maine or Oregon. They may hold offices in the Senate that expand
their responsibilities in a more Federal fashion but the primary reason
they are there is as New Mexicans to do New Mexico*s business. They are
responsible to us for their actions. And sorry to say, we New Mexicans
are responsible for the two dolts that we have as Senators.

In my email I specifically tried to exclude the non-elite coastal
populations. The elitism of many of the urban coastal people in the US
has been well documented. Recall the *fly-over country* remarks during a
previous administration.

Rick Seddon
Portales, NM