From: Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wed, January 13, 2010 10:36:27 PM
Subject: Re: Eliot's poetry: the medium & the message

Diana Manister wrote:

> Dear Jonathan,
>
> Wasn't it Joseph Campbell who used to tell that cosmological story
> about "it's turtles all the way down"?

It has multiple soures. Some of them must be made up.

The one I heard is that Bertrand Russel was giving a public lexture. In
the question period a 'little old lady' (it is always little old ladies
in these legends) said that the truth was the  universe rested on the
back of a gian turtle. Russel then asked her what the turtle rested on.
Her reply, "You can't fool me young man, It's turtles all the way down."

Carrol

http://ca.toolbar.yahoo.com.