From: T. S. Eliot Discussion forum. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Richard Seddon
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2010 9:01 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: OT Massachusetts' Logic

Peter

Well you know it was originally set up something like that.

Originally Senators were elected/appointed by their state legislatures and
not directly elected by the people of the state

The original Article I section 3 of the US Constitution read; "The Senate of
the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each state, chosen
by the Legislatures thereof, for six years and each Senator shall have one
vote."

This was modified by the 17th amendment to provide for direct election by
the people of the state.   The 17th amendment was ratified in 1913.

Rick Seddon

Portales, NM