Peter Montgomery wrote:

> As for the NRSV I would appreciate any general thoughts you have about its language quality.
> It has been adopted by the Catholic Church in Canada as THE official translation for use in liturgies. As a proclaimer of the word and an english teacher, I am astounded at the grammatical laxness especially in sentence structure and paragraphing. In some cases
> I have found it nigh on impossible to proclaim in such a way that it makes real sense.
>
> I fear accuracy of translation has triumphed over all other values including the
> real meaning of the original.
>
> Frankly I'm appalled. The New Jerusalem Bible is sweet poetry in comparison.

An Eliot quote:
    After a few pleasantries, he asked me if I had read The New English
    Bible.  When I said I hadn't he said, "I think you will be dismayed by
    it, as I am, William.  Not just stylistic losses, nuances gone, language
    forced, but, for example, instead of being admonished not to cast pearls
    before swine, we are now instructed, 'Do not feed your pearls to pigs'
    -- and so the meaning is quite destroyed."

William Turner Levy was an American Episcopal priest who, although much
younger than Eliot became friends with him. Turner wrote of Eliot and
their correspondence in the book:
     William Turner Levy and Victor Scherle,
     "Affectionately, T.S. Eliot"
     J.B. Lippincott, New York, 1968