Dear Nancy,

As you know origins are tricky -- language itself does not originate
with the individual who learns one.

As for discourses, like the many feminisms from liberal humanist to
radical postructuralist, who can say if any one person started them,
or if a collective intention reached a critical intensity and was
articulated as a system of ideas whose time had come.

No doubt Freud's ideas would have arrived in some form bearing someone
else's name.

Discourses have a life of their own -- although people put their names
to them. Someone would have taken credit for inventing the wheel if
there had been a way to do it.

Language, as a system, is a capacity with which we are born -- how it
originated as you know is a mystery.

When a species evolves to a point where language is possible everyone
participates in its arrival.

No one invented language, or thought. They evolved, like the opposable
thumb.

Individualism is highly overrated, in my opinion.

Anyway there's no one whose ideas on the subject I'd rather hear than
you!

Cheers,

Diana

Sent from my iPod