My mother seems to get incredibly wise as she ages!

Diana

Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 00:06:06 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Eliot's poetry: the medium & the message
To: [log in to unmask]

All jokes to the contrary, they so often are.
Cheers,
Nancy

>>> Tom Gray <[log in to unmask]> 01/13/10 11:02 PM >>>
Russell was attempting to find a basic set of axioms that would provide the basis for all mathematics. This was the culmination of a quest that was a major focus of mathematics throughout the 19th century. The quest was unsuccessful and Godel proved that it was impossible. So, at least with respect the Russell and mathematics, it is turtles all the way down.

One of the fears of physicists is that there may be no single unified theory. The basic constants may turn out to be arbitrary. So for physics as well, it may be turtles all the way down.

The little old lady may have been on to something.