Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 15:03:06 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: OT: further esoterica Re: Gospel of Mary of Magdala (recovery/"library")
To: [log in to unmask]

As for the general, not the specific, point:

The OED is not in the business to approve or disapprove.  It records usage.  On occasion it will indicate how usages are seen, as vulg. or joc. or this, s.v. variorum:
 d. Used, chiefly attrib., to denote an edition, usu. of an author's complete works, containing variant readings from manuscripts or earlier editions.
  This use is deplored by some scholars.
While the record of use is indispensable, correctness for any particular period or occasion is not determined by what has been done before or elsewhere.  Correctness includes language being, in part, a social convention.

Best,
Marcia

Diana Manister wrote:
Do you mean "they" and "their" for he/she and hers/his? I do use this but felt it was fudging. I'll be glad to know it's OK with OED!