This morning as I was getting ready to leave for work, I began to hear birdsong. DARN,  I thought, no time to watch. I did go outside and the carolina wren was heard singing. The eurasian tree sparrows were being noisy. The female cardinal was chipping.
   I returned inside to dress for work, all the time watching out the back window. I saw leaves flying by the side fence in several places..  I had to go back to family room to get binocs and saw the frontal view of a towhee... my heart stopped ( Dec., 07 had spotted towhee who stayed for four months).  When it turned sideways, saw that it was brightly colored eastern towhee (male).. So I checked out more flying leaves.. another male eastern towhee and two white-throated sparrows.
   Further looking around produced a red-bellied woodpecker and American crow.
   I was able to get a couple of pics of towhees .  Plus, I've added a pic of the "blue moon" in gallery (Dec. 31, 2009 - title) at jcallen.smugmug.com
  And, I got to work on time.. whew.....

  Jane Allen
  St. Louis county