RE: laws covering nesting native birds

I would like to draw a distinction between the ABA ethics and the Migratory
Bird Treaty Laws.  The "ethics" are  suggestions of respectful behaviors
conducted in the pursuit of the pastime of birdwatching.  The Migratory Bird
Treaty Laws are laws, backed up by Fish and Wildlife rules and regulations,
enforced by US Fish and Wildlife Agents and managed by District Offices
located in various parts of the US.  Our district office is in Minnesota.  One of
the sections of the Migratory Bird Treaty Law is that it is illegal to disturb the
nest of any native bird species.
In the pursuit of gaining data on the nesting habits of GHO in Missouri, the
process is to present your project to Minnesota.  Usually, this submission is
done through a university that is sponsoring the studies of the researcher.
The web sites that were listed in Marge's e-mail are a good review of what our
legal responsibilities are as we go birding.  Birders come upon many different
situations involving the actvities of birds.  With the breeding season coming
up, as birds become more visible, it is always a good idea to go back over
these laws.  I always keep in mind that these laws are there to protect the
birds, which they do.  They present me with a parameter in which I can enjoy
birding, but not disturb the birds.

Carla Bascom
Permit holder Lakeside Nature Center
USFWS Rehabilitation, Possession, and Salvage Permits