A few years ago, I spent quite a bit of time monitoring a GHO fledgling that had fallen
from the nest.  My dilemma was how to inform the neighbors, yet keep us all a safe
distance from the owlet so the parents could continue to take care of it. I took photos
from a distance of 40+ feet with my digiscope.  I kept the neighbors apprised of his
whereabouts and in return they kept themselves, their children and pets away. It was a
great learning experience for us all. The owlet fared well, was cared for and learned to
fly within 6 weeks.   The story was in the Bluebird.

As a bird watcher and nature photographer, it is important to always keep the welfare of
nature's creatures first and foremost.  Not only is this important, there is a law!  It is
known as the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918.

http://www.fws.gov/pacific/migratorybirds/mbta.htm

There are over 860 species covered by this law, including Great Horned Owls.

http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/RegulationsPolicies/mbta/mbtandx.html#o

The MBTA made it illegal for people to "take" migratory birds, their eggs, feathers or
nests.  Take is defined in the MBTA to include by any means or in any manner, any
attempt at hunting, pursuing, wounding, killing, possessing or transporting any migratory
bird, nest, egg, or part thereof.

I think this website gives some good examples:

http://www.sialis.org/mbta.htm

I am not a lawyer, simply one who loves nature. We all must do our part to be aware,
raise awareness and put nature first.  “Pursuing” is the operative word that makes me
think twice about my movements and actions.

Respectfully submitted,

Margy Terpstra
Kirkwood, St. Louis CO, MO