After viewing the Black-throated Sparrow at the Rush residence at
first light today (thanks to the hospitality of the Rush family and to
Jack for keeping everyone informed)... I headed over to a very frozen
Squaw Creek NWR (Holt Co.). It only took about an hour to do the loop,
as there wasn't much avian diversity to distract me from my driving.

Highlights:

9 SNOW BUNTINGS feeding with Song Sparrows and American Tree Sparrows
on the back side of the wildlife loop, just south of Snow Goose Pool.

47 Trumpeter Swans, the only waterfowl that I saw, keeping a little
area of water open on the back side of Eagle Pool; there may have been
more around the corner out of my line of view. A Bald Eagle was doing
the "death watch" on the ice near the Trumpeter Swans. This can look
fairly grim when the eagles are keeping watch over ducks and geese;
but when you consider that the eagle is practically half the size of
the swans, it actually looked kind of silly standing there.

Also found mixed flocks of Horned Larks and Lapland Longspurs along
the road into Bob Brown CA.

Smithville Lake (Clay Co.) is 99% frozen. They're letting water out at
the dam at a pretty good clip, and Ring-billed & Herring Gulls were
taking advantage of the fishing opportunity. Looks like the Trimble
CBC (rescheduled from last weekend's snow storm for January 3) will
have a fairly meager waterfowl count.

Kristi Mayo
Kearney MO (Clay Co.)