Christina: This is probably some sort of pre-egg laying activitiy that the
owls are currently doing as a part of their courtship. I have compiled a lot
of data on the nesting of GH Owls in the St. Louis area. The earliest I have
observed fresh eggs is Jan. 28 through anout Feb. 4. They are the first
birds to nest but I believe it is a little too early for them to have eggs
in December.
Good luck.
Dave Pierce
St. Louis County