The calender may say that winter begins in three weeks, but birders know that November 30th marks the end of the fall season (August 1 - November 30). Please take some time to sort through your sightings for this period and send me your Fall Seasonal Report for inclusion in The Bluebird and North American Birds before December 10

Contact information is listed at the end of this e-mail.

Your seasonal report should include significant sightings during the period. Examples of "significant sightings" include:

-- any species listed as "rare", "casual", or "accidental" on the Annotated Checklist of Missouri Birds <
http://mobirds.org/MBRC/MOChecklist.asp>;

-- record early or late dates (see  "Birds of Missouri" by Robbins & Easterla for details);

-- high counts or unusually low counts (also include a note if a species usually present in your area during this period appeared to be completely absent or unusually abundant).

Information about weather events in your area will also help me paint a better picture of the fall migration across the state.

PREFERRED FORMAT -- An Excel document with the following data: 1) Species; 2) Number observed; 3) Date; 4) Location (i.e. park, residence, city, etc.); 5) County; and 6) Additional Notes (such as age/sex, notes about how you arrived at a particularly difficult identification, and whether you submitted documentation for casual or accidental species)

If you would like a sample Excel document to get you started, please let me know.

PHOTOS -- Submission of photos showing your significant sightings through the season is encouraged. These images will be considered for publication alongside the final Fall Seasonal Report. High-resolution images can be e-mailed in JPEG or TIFF format.

The data you provide is used to produce the regional report published in North American Birds, the American Birding Association's "journal of record for birders". A summary of sightings is also published in the ASM's quarterly publication, The Bluebird.

PLEASE REMEMBER -- Your sightings must be submitted directly to me in order to be considered for inclusion in the final seasonal report.
Sightings posted only to MOBIRDS-L will not be included in the report.

Please send your sightings to me at one of the addresses below before Thursday, December 10. I will reply to each e-mail to confirm receipt. If you don't hear back from me, please try again so that your records do not get lost.

Thank you,

Walter Wehtje
Fall Seasonal Report Editor

e-mail: