Steve Dinsmore, Iowa birder and scientist, posted to the Iowa list that Gizzard Shad, a small fish that schools in large numbers and constitutes a major food source for gulls and mergansers in large lakes in winter, have crashed this year on some Iowa lakes. Therefore, he predicted, those lakes will be less likely to produce good gulls and/or to hold numbers of waterfowl this winter.

I'm wondering if anyone knows the status of Gizzard Shad in Smithville Lake (or other Missouri birding lakes) this year. If so, I'd like to know it.

Thanks.

Bob Fisher
Independence, MO