I enjoyed a very friendly visit with Dean and Pat Rush at their home this morning. They are some of the most hospitable people I have had an occasion to meet. The McCullough's were just leaving as I arrived. Unfortuantely they had not seen the Black-throated Sparrow and their presence was required elsewhere.

While Dean and I were visiting (and watching), the bird suddenly materialized near a wooden trellis which is situated just outside a large kitchen window. The sparrow appeared at 9:10 AM in the company of many House Sparrow and several American Goldfinches. There it was about eight (8) feet away from us. I got very good looks, albeit ever so briefly, as it flew to the west and out of site about 20 seconds after I first saw it. I immediately wrote up some documentation and sent it online to Mr. Rowe. I did not see it for the remaining time while I was there, but I was busy preparing the documentation, sketching the bird and getting it on line. I had a camera with me, but because the bird was there for so short of time I was not able to get a photo.

It maybe somewhat difficult to see this bird from the yard, given the "lay of the land". The Rush's are very amicable and will probably invite you inside their home, which has to be the preferred (if not the only viable) viewing site. There is a large kitchen window which allows the nearby birds to sense the nearness of your presence, so I would suggest that if you go and are invited in that you keep speaking and movement to a minimum due to the closeness of the birds to the house, if it should come while you are there.

I hope you get to see the bird if you travel up that way.

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO
gcrownkinglet AT yahoo DOT com
http://mobirds.org/