Hello All:
Sorry guys, but I did refind "Moe and Curly (Western and Clark's Grebe)" today. Don't know what became of "Larry." The Western and Clark's Grebe were seen today about 1pm, rafting with a variety of diving and puddle ducks at the Honker Cove area of Smithville Lake. Don't have my Smithville Lake map handy, but to reach Honker Cove (the "waterfowl refuge" area of the lake just north of Hwy. W bridge), take Hwy J north from Hwy W and turn left on the third gravel road. Take the first left and park at the end of the road. Take the trail (deer trail?), not the service road, to the lakeshore. The light is horrid at this location, but I did get diagnostic views here today. Honker cove can be accessed east of Trimble at 2 locations, but a way longer hike/bushwack is required.
I noticed on Saturday that the grebes seemed to be moving around more than the last couple of weeks. They seem to have more mobility now. Hope they hang around for a while and get a little more cooperative then they have been recently.
I have really enjoyed "getting to know" these birds; learning their field marks (again!), watching their behaviors (they are rather captivating creatures!), listening to their vocalizations and bearing witness to their molt cycle (bring on those gulls!). Having said that, I am yearning to get on some gulls, passerines, owls (a Snowy has been reported in Iowa!)...something different!!  Do whatever it takes to keep birding fun and interesting, my friends (& others)! So much to learn, so little time...
Doug Willis
Liberty, MO
P.S. Speaking of passerines, here's a tidbit. I checked a conifer-infested cemetary in NW MO last Friday morning with a friend. ALL of the smaller cone-bearing trees (Hemlocks, Spruces) were completely and totally ravaged! I've never seen pine cones tore up like that. Be on the lookout and check those pines!