Randy Cartwright and I took a  spin around Smithville Lake this afternoon (2:30-4:45).  We attempted a couple short hikes to look for dicky birds, but it was pretty quiet.  We scoped the lake looking toward the dam from Crow's Creek from 3:30-4:00 and saw 1 common loon among the numerous ring-billeds and bonaparte's gulls.  Also several cormorants flying about.  We went to the dam as the light was starting to fade (~4:15).  We did get the scope on 1 Horned Grebe, and 2 'long-necked' grebes - by the time I found the latter, the light was diminished enough and the birds far enough away that I was unable to discern whether the birds were Western or Clark's (viewed from parking lot by trail between Litton Center and dam).  Also present were >50 hooded mergansers and several ducks, looked like scaup but were pretty distant for my scope's range.

We also scanned the dam briefly yesterday early afternoon and there was nothing on the water (but a couple pied-billed grebes) near the dam (also very windy yesterday).  We had one lone blue-morph snow goose fly over.

Jennifer Reidy
Liberty, MO

Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 18:56:43 -0800
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: RFI Smithville Lake Clark's Grebe - NO
To: [log in to unmask]

 Jackie Chain and I were at Smithville Lake Fri. afternoon.  say 1 pm -2:15 pm.. and did NOT see the grebes.. Another woman from Kansas (sorry name escapes me) was there with Tim Barksdale at about the same time and they also did not see them. We were unable to get back later in the afternoon, but will try again sometime Saturday.  We were at the south end of the dam first, behind the visitor center.. we also drove across the dam and back.

Jane Allen
reporting from St. Joseph ,Mo