--- On Sat, 11/21/09, J C Allen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: J C Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: early a.m. thievery in frontyard, Great horned owl calling, St. Louis Co
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Saturday, November 21, 2009, 8:38 AM

  I'm home doing some study program.. Took a  break with hearing some bird song. Again, out in front yard a large influx of birds.  And now I think I understand.  In the large trees around my home are numerous squirrel nests (remember I fed them also).  Well, the titmouse (4) , the white-throated sparrows (2), the starling, the blue jays (3-4) ..the chickadee.. are stealing food from the squirrel nests.. mostly acorns, I 'm guessing.   All the talk re: the squirrels stealing food from the feeders.. well what goes around comes around.
     Also, cooper's hawk off in the distance..
     I  heard only one great horned owl calling early this morning.( 4 am). and just too tired to chase. Maybe another time I will.

  Jane Allen
  St. Louis Co.