On Sat., Nov 14, at 9 PM I heard snow geese flying overhead. This was in St. Louis county, above my Kirkwood yard. The sky was heavily overcast. About 20 min. later I went outside and heard them again. I wonder if the flock was that large, or if they were circling.

Anne McCormack
On Nov 17, 2009, at 9:56 AM, Jean Leonatti wrote:

Yesterday, I had to drive back and forth to St. Louis saw a large flock of snow geese feeding in a corn field, just east of the Hatton interchange on I-70.   Other than that, it was a pretty miserable drive.

Jean Leonatti, CEO
Central Missouri Area Agency on Aging
573-443-5823 (ph)
573-875-8907 (FAX)

From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Brad Jacobs
Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 9:40 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Little Dixie Lake, Callaway Co. Late Tree Swallow, 9 Co. Loons

A quick dawn trip to Little Dixie Lake in Callaway Co was very productive.  A late tree swallow was over the water. Late date is Nov 24 in Robbins and Easterla 1992.
Other birds of interest:
Common Loon 7
Horned Grebe 1
D. C. Cormorant 1
Mallard 2
Gadwall 10
Lesser Scaup 150
Ring-necked Duck 20
Bufflehead 6
Ruddy Duck 5
Red-breasted Merganser 2
American Coot 7
Ring-billed Gull 1
Tree Swallow 1

The diversity of the birds today on Little DIxie tells me that there might be a lot of birds out on other lakes in this overcast weather and that a lake check might be a good thing to do soon.

Brad

Brad Jacobs
Missouri Department of Conservation
P.O.Box 180