Several years ago while birding at Ted Shanks CA in Pike County, I was
walking on a boardwalk through the woods that led to a duck blind on the
water. I stopped and decided to "pish" for some songbirds. Suddenly, I had
this odd feeling and quickly turned around (180 degrees). There coming
toward my face was a barred owl--but as soon as it saw my eyes, it veered
sharply away. It was probably only 10 to 12 inches from my face when it
averted me. It was definitely "a close encounter."

Debbie Nichols

Hannibal, MO
Marion County

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/