I have already replied with some recommendations privately to Chris, but since I have heard comments several times lately on using an angled scope in a car, I wanted to publicly reply to that.  There is a perception that angled scopes are more difficult in a car when they are actually the opposite.

Angled scopes can rotate on their tripod collar i.e. they are not "fixed" in a position so you have to look down at an angle all the time.  In a car, this is a big advantage over a straight scope.  Especially when looking to your left, you can rotate the whole scope so you are looking from a comfortable position with the eyepiece angled to the side toward you rather than climbing onto the steering wheel.  Looking to the extreme right, you have more flexibility, too, since the seat can be in the way of a straight scope.

With an angled scope, you can also turn the eyepiece downward for shorter people and children without changing the tripod height.  This came in handy yesterday when my group had stopped traffic at Squaw Creek to look at two Great Horned Owls sitting side by side in a tree.  Three carloads of other visitors including some shorter than me all used my scope without adjusting the tripod.

For those reasons, an angled scope was recommended to me by an excellent birder and I have not regretted it.  I was skeptical since I am so used to tracking birds through a straight telephoto camera lens.  Learning to find and track birds through an angled scope was not as difficult as I feared.

As Bob said, there are several top quality scopes.  HD or APO, although more expensive, are definitely worth the investment.  I am very happy with my Leica APO-Televid 77.  It has now been replaced with an 82 mm version which I'm sure is even better since it would allow more light.

I also recommended getting a window mount to Chris.  I would also recommend making sure you tighten it down securely every time.  I guess I took a corner slightly fast with mine on the window yesterday and the window mount came loose from the window and fell, fortunately, into the car, but the scope still suffered a small dent.

Linda Williams
Liberty, Clay County, MO