Saturday, November 14, 2009

Steve Kinder and I had an excellent day birding Squaw Creek National
Wildlife Refuge at Mound City, Missouri this morning. The diving ducks
are beginning to cover the refuge during their stop-overs on their way
south for the winter months. Following the geese and ducks on their
migration are the numerous Bald Eagles. Today we saw about 25 of these
eagles, mostly immatures but 4 or 5 adult birds as well.

Our list of waterfowl included: Greater White-fronted Goose, Snow
Goose, Ross's Goose, Canada Goose, TRUMPETER SWAN (3), Wood Duck,
Gadwall, American Wigeon, Mallard, Blue-winged Teal, Northern Shoveler,
Northern Pintail, Green-winged Teal, Canvasback, Ring-necked Duck,
Lesser Scaup, Hooded Merganser and Ruddy Duck.

Several Wild Turkeys were a welcomed sight. Three (3) COMMON LOONS at
nearby Big Lake State Park gave us some good views. Back on the refuge
we recorded Pied-billed Grebe, American White Pelican, Double-crested
Cormorant, Great Blue Heron, Great Egret, the aforementioned Bald
Eagle, Northern Harrier, Red-tailed Hawk, American Coot, Franklin's and
Herring Gull.

Next seen were some of the smaller birds: Rock Pigeon, Mourning Dove (a
little scarce, because hunters are now shooting some of them - but, of
course, not on the refuge), Red-bellied Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker,
Hairy Woodpecker, Northern Flicker, Blue Jay and American Crow.

Some more of the smaller birds were: Black-capped Chickadee, Tufted
Titmouse, (we had Red-breasted Nuthatch in our yard in Saint Joseph
before we headed up to the refuge), White-breasted Nuthatch, Carolina
Wren, Eastern Bluebird, American Robin, European Starling, and more
than I have ever seen before in a flock AMERICAN PIPIT (250).

Sparrows, blackbirds, finches, etc: American Tree Sparrow, Song
Sparrow, Swamp Sparrow, White-throated Sparrow, Harris's Sparrow,
Dark-eyed Junco, Northern Cardinal, Red-winged Blackbird, recently
arrived RUSTY BLACKBIRD (2), Common Grackle, Great-tailed Grackle (at grain elevators in Mound City),
Brown-headed Cowbird, House Finch (again, in our yard in Saint Joseph),
American Goldfinch and House Sparrow.

A great day to be out birding in the fall of the year!

Larry Lade

Saint Joseph, MO

gcrownkinglet AT yahoo DOT com