I did not get interested in birds until I was almost fifty.  I was still
working, but some friends in Virginia where I lived at the time told me
about the Christmas Bird Count, and encouraged to give it a try.  I was busy
in my work, and traveled a lot, and had never been a part of any organized
group, and certainly was a novice birder.  It was a great experience, and I
have never missed a Christmas Bird Count since.  Usually I do at least four
to six counts each season.  That is too make sure I am exhausted by the end
of the holiday season.  Many of the counts have very traditional practices
especially around compilation.  Some meet for breakfast, some for lunch,
and several have compilation dinners at the end of the day.  What a great
way to finish off a adventurous day.  Every each years count day, birds,
weather, etc. are different.  Please, you must give it a shot.  Oooops wrong
last word.  Do it, you will love it.

Charley Burwick
Greater Ozarks Audubon
Springfield, Mo.