From my limited experience:

1) NSWO are uncommon, but probably not as rare as most think, in northern
MO. Can't speak from experience for central MO, but I would imagine the same
is true for central MO, and eastern MO north of the Ozarks.

2) First year birds and perhaps a few adults will begin arriving in
mid-to-late October, adults probably follow in large numbers in November.
(banding stations at similar latitudes as MO get birds in mid-October, I
think)

3) Anywhere with decent numbers of Eastern Red Cedar are a good bet, but
they will occur in areas without Eastern Red Cedar as well (so I hear, I've
never found them there, but haven't searched).

4) Saw-whets tend to be loyal to a day-time roost in winter for weeks or
months.

Suggestions for searching/basis for my answers... the last couple of years I
was in north central MO, I would occasionally go out to areas and
tape/whistle for saw-whets about an hour after dusk. Taping for them
requires patience, as sometimes you have to play for about 15-20 minutes
before the birds will respond (I would whistle and imitate bill clicks while
I reset the recording). I had best results on an outing in early November,
which is consistent with what I heard about first winter birds being the
most vocal when they first come down. Using taping, it is possible to cover
a MUCH larger area than looking, and gives a more accurate representation of
what's out there. In two outings at Union Ridge CA (roughly 30 miles south
of the IA border), I had at least two saw-whets responding both times. If
you want to tape, I'd get out sooner rather than later.

What was remarkable for me was how *unremarkable *the habitat was where I
had them at Union Ridge CA.  It was a portion of the area that was a former
pasture overgrown with cedars from before MDC had acquired the area... areas
like this literally abound in north-central and north-eastern Missouri.  If
I would have had more time (this seems to be a phrase I repeat way too often
with birding) I would have checked out lots of similar areas to test my
theory (most of these areas have saw-whets in northern MO, they just go
undetected). If looking for a new place to find the birds, I'd concentrate
efforts on a place that has gone over to cedar succession but has a
high-calorie source of food nearby to attract rodents, maybe some crop
fields  closeby or remnant grasses w/ seeds in the understory.

If looking for birds visually, it might be best to wait until January or
February, when more pellets and whitewash have accumulated under roosts.
Then again, I'm just not as good as some at looking for saw-whets, so maybe
somebody else better chime in there.

I've always felt like people treat looking for saw-whets a lot like family
recipes-- lots of secrets! People tend to keep things pretty close to the
vest with where they look and what they find, and even how they look.
Definitely understandable for birds on roosts to avoid harassment, but I'd
be interested to hear feedback from others with lots of experience to see if
they've had the same experiences I've had re: Bryan's questions.

Phil Wire
Edwardsville, IL