I spent a couple of hours at Smithville Lake this afternoon, trying to find the Western and Clark's Grebes.  Unfortunately, it was very windy with white-caps on the water, which made scoping difficult.  Scoping from behind the Litton Center, I saw a group of grebes far out on the lake.  Because of the distance and the wind, which made the water quite choppy and shook my scope, I could not identify them.  It is possible that the Western and Clark's Grebes were out there, but I did not see them -- only Horned and Pied-billed Grebes at other locations.  There was also a raft of ducks at a great distance on the main body of the lake, but I was unable to identify any of them because of the wind.  It didn't seem to be very birdy,  but I did see and hear 21 species as I made my way around the lake:  Horned Grebe, Pied-billed Grebe, Double-crested Cormorants, Great Blue Heron, Canada Geese, Mallards, Gadwall, Northern Shovelers, Red-tailed Hawks, American Coots, Ring-billed Gulls, Blue Jays, American Crows, Black-capped Chickadees, Carolina Wrens (heard), American Robin, Northern Mockingbirds, Sparrows, sp., Dark-eyed Juncos, Northern Cardinals, and American Goldfinch (heard).  In spite of the wind, and missing the Clark's Grebe, it was good to be out.

Good birding!
Susan Seyboth
Kansas City, MO