It was a pretty slow day there at Tower Rock Natural Area. The high fast waters of the Mississippi River left no sand bars in sight for lazy birds to catch a few Z's. Things began to pick up a little as a small loose flock moved through the trees and bushes along the railroad tracks. List of species (Insert disclaimer here: Not all birds present may have been observed by all members):

Tufted Titmouse
Ring-billed Gull
Turkey Vulture
Great Blue Heron
White-breasted Nuthatch
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Carolina Chickadee
Carolina Wren
Dark-eyed Junco
Northern Flicker (heard)
Greater White-fronted Goose

Tower Rock NA full report here:
http://www.mobirds.org/CACHE/viewData.asp?tripID=14283&locID=731

With some time left due to the low number of species present so late in the day, we decided that a stop at Apple Creek Conservation Area, might yield some more species, and it did offer a few more:

A kettle of Turkey Vultures held a few surprises - several Black Vultures were mixed in, as well as a Dark Morph (Phase) Red-tailed Hawk - completely brown. The Mississippi's elevated water levels were evident at the Apple Creek CA boat ramp access, as water was up and into the boat ramp parking lot and surrounding fields. We picked up a few species here as well, but the lack of time didn't allow us to really beat the brush much. Other species not listed here yet listed on the full report were observed by me while in transit between the boat ramp and the western entrance drive.

Dark-eyed Junco
Tufted Titmouse
Cedar Waxwing
Downy Woodpecker
Barred Owls (calling)
Blue Jay
White-throated Sparrow
White-breasted Nuthatch
Northern Flicker (heard)
Red-bellied Woodpecker
American Crow (heard)
American Goldfinch (heard)

Apple Creek CA full report can be seen here:
http://www.mobirds.org/CACHE/viewData.asp?tripID=14284&locID=208

It was an absolutely fabulous day here in the Southeast of MO to be out and about birding!

Bird on!

Chris Barrigar
Bloomfield
Stoddard County

Find the right PC with Windows 7 and Windows Live. Learn more.