This morning while admiring a gorgeous sunrise, I saw two dark birds on the same branch.
   With my binoculars, I saw more shape than anything:  The curved bill of the brown thrasher on one and the tail of the mockingbird on the other.     and they were silent. I wondered what it would have been like if they both had been singing.. Would one have mimicked the other?
   Then in the yard were maybe four dark-eyed juncos, with some house and eurasian tree sparrows.  On these cold nights, I  believe at least two eurasian tree sparrows have been roosting in a bird house.  There is usually a blue jay and a couple of cardinals early in the morning.  I hear the chickadee, but it's not hanging around close.   The robins continue to serenade.
    Jane Allen
    St. Louis County